Sunday, July 25, 2010

Holy Delicious

Wow....I guess I have been busy because I haven't posted anything in what seems like FOREVER!! ....and even with that being said, this is going to be a quick post (I have to get back to Eat, Pray, Love.....I need to finish it before the movie comes out!).

A quick recap of my "food changes" that have occurred over the past month:

--I can honestly say that for the 1st time in 15 years, I am not longer OBSESSED with my body image. For anyone close to me, you know what a long, treacherous battle this has been for me. I can't say what exactly changed, well because I don't know for sure...but I don't really care either. Loving my body the way it is is such an amazing feeling!!

--My sister has also been changing her food habits and this makes it so much easier for me! We share things we've learned, books, blog, ect. It's pretty awesome. **Side note---we are both in the midst of changing out household product, hair products, ect over to all natural products.** So needless to say.....
I am a proud convert of all natural/organic eating!!

Now, at times it can be difficult...but I don't beat myself up if I slip up once in a while (a big change from my "eating" before). But it is a lot easier knowing that I don't want to fill my body with chemically enhanced, super processed foods. **I actually passes on Doritos this past weekend....which has ALWAYS been my weakness. But all I could think of was the processing and artificial, well CRAP!
***This is one of my favorite new find: Nutritional Yeast


So anyways, I started my day grabbing some things from a local market and starting cooking.

















Here are a couple of delicious foods I made today:

Flax & Oat Breakfast Power Muffins

Ingredients:
1 ripened organic banana
2 tsp. Olive Oil
1 organic brown egg
1/4 cup non-packed brown sugar
1/2 cup freshly grounded flax seed
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup oats
1/2 tsp. baking soda

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 and grease 6 muffin tins.
Mash banana into a medium sized bowl.
Beat in oil, egg, and brown sugar.


















Grind 1/2 cup flax in a blender for a couple mins.
In a separate bowl, stir together the dry ingredients (Oats, grinded flax, whole wheat flour, baking soda).
















Add dry ingredients into wet and stir. Do not overmix.















Add nuts or dark chocolate chips if preferred.

Spoon into muffin tins. Bake for 15-20 mins. makes 6 power muffins.
























Quick and Easy Potato Soup

Ingredients:

3 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, cooked and peeled, if desired
1 small onion
1 cup vegetable broth
1/4 teaspoon rosemary
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1 tablespoon raw cashews or 1/2 tbsp. cashew butter (optional)
1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
1 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk or soy/rice/hemp/cow’s milk

Directions:

Chop the onion and sauté it until soft in a medium-sized saucepan.
















Cut the potatoes into cubes and add 2/3 of them to the pan, along with the broth, rosemary, white pepper, and salt.
















Simmer, covered, for about 15 minutes.

Pour into blender along with cashew butter, soymilk, and nutritional yeast. Blend until smooth.





















Return to pan, add remaining potatoes, and cook, stirring often, over low heat until hot.











Serves 2 meal sized portions.

2 comments: